Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Foreward

Instead of boring you with the details of my truly mundane and extremely average life, I plan to blog for another purpose. This is not meant for you (the reader) and it's certainly not for me, though I hope we'll both enjoy it. I may come, with time, to regret the things that I post here as my opinions and viewpoints change. 

Nonetheless, these posts will be intended for my (future) children.


I am engaged to a lovely and vibrant young woman (Carolyn) and am hopeful that in future years we will be able to start a family. I will become a crusty old man who has lost ties with the world around me but my hope is to write these blogs as a peer to my kids. By 2035 I anticipate that I will don socks with sandals, rock a full-blown dad bod, and be wildly out of touch with technology but am hopeful these words may resonate. 


The plan is to choose a different topic each week(money, religion, success, education, following your dreams, relationships, etc) and then send a message to the unborn fruit of my loins that they may read many years later. Likely in high school when they will be most annoying, as we all were. 


Mistakes will be made,  by each and every one of us. You will not be loved any less for your shortcomings and you will always have someone in your corner. In my angst-filled years I threatened to move out of my family home and take on the world at the ripe age of seventeen. I yelled at my parents about how foolish they were. My father made me realize something that day as the emotion rose in his voice and he asserted "sometimes I may have to fight against you...when you're wrong...but I will always fight for you."  


It was hard to be on the cusp of manhood, understanding some elements of this life while so many others escaped me, but I will never forget that moment. Life is a collection of memories, most of which fade as the sands of time stain your memories in sepia tones. This is a moment that will stay with me always in vibrant color. I did not fully recognize it at the time but I never felt more loved in my life. I offer the same contract to my own children, though they are just a twinkle in my eye. 


Love always, 

Dad 


P.S. I already know you will all like your mother better, you would be foolish not to. Please keep this to yourself. 


Bru Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment