Tuesday, September 6, 2016

On Mindfulness Meditation

Dear kiddos,

I have been practicing mindfulness meditation for the past few months. I feel like someone introduced me to a version of this via Catholic faith practices but hearing it from the more secular view has somehow proven to be different (and then later the same).

What is it?

Mostly it’s just sitting and thinking. There is a lot of breathing exercises and focusing on the minute sensations that your body feels. There are some amazing (free) apps for the iPhone called “Calm” and “Headspace” that I found particularly helpful when I started.

Initially, I really enjoyed the guided meditations where someone leads you through what you should be thinking about and focusing on. Lately, I have been setting up to listen to basic soundscapes with a bell going off in the background once every two minutes.

I’ll start by taking large, deep breaths and think “in” and “out” coinciding with the direction of the breath. Then I’ll go through a body scan and focus in on all the things you usually wouldn’t recognize. Next is my favorite part; gratitude training. I think I already wrote about achievement and fulfillment but have been led to believe that you cannot live in a negative place when you are conscientiously grateful for all that you have. So for 2 minutes I say “thank you” to the powers that be for all the gifts of my life. I run out of time every day.

I always start thanking my lucky stars for your mother but the rest can go anywhere. Today I thanked the Creator for having fully functioning senses (taste, touch, sight, hearing, and smell) and then made my way through my family. Yesterday I was thinking of my friends and the day before I was thankful for my troublesome employees for making me better at my job and helping me to grow. I imagine I could spend a day being grateful if I was smart enough to realize all the blessings I have. I couldn’t help but notice that this feels an awful lot like the prayers I grew up with by the way. 

The last two minutes is just counting to ten and then starting over (over and over again). Just a way to wind down the practice.

I’m sure there are better ways to do this and I’ll continue to sort out the details as time goes on but I would highly recommend incorporating this into your daily routine.

How does it feel?

Amazing. But do it for a month to feel full effects.

Love always,

Dad


Song of the week? Leave a Trace by Chvrches
your parents - very grateful for you even though you aren't here yet

No comments:

Post a Comment