Sunday, September 11, 2016

On Planning a Trip

Hey kiddos,

I thought this might be interesting to write about because it should apply to any trip you take and what is life if not one (hopefully long) journey.

Your mom and I are reading to go to Japan and Hawaii for two weeks at the beginning of next month and in doing so we are faced with a lot of good questions about the right way to plan (or not plan) our travels. I generally think there are two basic ways to do this and then the continuum between them comprises the way in which they actually get completed.

First way - buy the ticket and take the trip. Arguments for this mentality would be that each journey is truly unique and you will experience the place you're visiting unlike anyone else. Last time I traveled with a friend to Japan he kept reminding me that "as long as you have your credit card and passport; you're good".

Second way - plan everything down to the last detail. The flights, the climate, the hotels, the restaurants, the landmarks, the trains, the walk times. Everything. Biggest positive to this way of traveling is you'll feel like you're maximizing the trip.

I just realized the other day that this trip is going to cost me about twice as much as my first car. When you are as stingy as me and throw down that sort of money you want to make sure you're juicing every moment of enjoyment out of the trip.

So what's the right way? You know who you are; so do what feels right to you. I'll try to leave some gaps for spontaneity to appease your mother but I know that I won't enjoy myself as much without a plan.

Anyways, as you journey through life just figure out what you're doing and live with intention.

Love always,

Dad

P.S. because I'm an energizer bunny when traveling I'll be waking up 2 hours early to explore and then going back to pick up your mother for the rest of the days while we travel. That way she can sleep in and I can wear myself out so I won't be as annoying while we're together. And that's how you make a marriage work. Boom goes the dynamite.

No comments:

Post a Comment