Wednesday, November 15, 2017

On remembering Matthew Thomas Klamka

I wrote the following for Matty's funeral services:

Hello, I'm Lucas McCarville - I was blessed with being one of Matt's many friends for the past 15 years. I want to start by saying thank you to the Klamka family - it is a true honor to stand in front of you and speak in remembrance of Matt.

Trying to consolidate everything that was Matt's incredible life and winning personality into a few words is an impossible task. When I think of Matt I first imagine him cracking jokes and lighting up whatever room he was in. But Matt was so much more than that – he had depth, wisdom, and strength – I'd like to share some of the things he's taught me.

You are not in control of your life - but we do have control of our reaction to the twists and turns that we encounter - it is up to each of us to create purpose from chaos. 

Matty was appreciative of support but he wasn't the least bit interested in pity. He knew that life wasn't fair but he never allowed his circumstances to consume him - while he was fighting with every ounce of his being - he stood tall as a pillar of strength for all of us.

Matt loved Star Wars, Japan, physics, video games, dogs, and sports - but what Matt loved the most was YOU - the person sitting in front of him. He had an uncanny ability to look at you with fresh eyes and accept all of who you were. He lived in each passing moment - he drank deeply from the well of what this life has to offer and his passion for living was infectious - your spirits were uncontrollably lifted when you were near him. Matty always helped me to dream bigger and demand more from myself.

While Matt's presence will be sorely missed he left us with his lessons; his philosophy; his spirit. Matty lived a life that mattered - and the best way I know to honor him is to remain steadfast to his guiding principles.

I want to close by quoting one of Matt's heroes - Craig Sager - the iconic sports reporter - who lived a bold life full of color and positivity.

"I will never give up, and I will never give in. I will continue to keep fighting; sucking the marrow out of life as life sucks the marrow out of me. I will live my life full of love and full of fun. It's the only way I know how."

Matt understood that we are the choices that we make - that's why he was never a victim - he was a rock, he was a soldier, he was a lion, and he is my hero.

Thank you for teaching me, thank you for loving me. Your legacy will live on in the best parts of us - when we make the choice to create a better life, a better world.

I love you buddy.

Kids,

I wish for each of you that you never lose someone you love when they are in the prime of their life. But even though you won't get to meet Matt you will surely know him through what he has given to your mother and I - a shining example of how to live a beautiful life.

Love always,

Dad



Matthew Thomas Klamka
December 5th, 1989 - November 11th, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment