Saturday, September 12, 2015

On Sadness

Hey Kiddo,

Surely you didn't believe it was all sunshine and rainbows, right?

Sometimes I wish it was but in moments of clarity I feel a deep appreciation for the dark times. You cannot know light without darkness.

I don't have any recollection of the first time I savored sadness but I can remember the moment felt profound. The empty feeling in the pit of your heart, that burns in your chest when you are alone, is to be cherished. It's how you know you're alive, that you're walking through the valley and that you will come out of it. If you get cut your body activates some system of macrophages/antibodies/whatever and your skin grows back stronger, thicker, and more impervious to pain. I think your heart works the same way.

I don't have advice for getting rid of sadness, it will leave you once it's done teaching it's lesson. My counsel is to embrace it when it comes but be sure to let it pass and allow the void it leaves to become more full of love than ever.

Here is a kick in the pants.We are flying through the universe at incredible speeds on a speck of dust and according to the conventional science (of today) this planet will die from heat death in 5 billion years when the sun envelops the Earth as our sun expands and dies itself. That should make you feel small and at the same time larger than life (literally). You are here and conscious, you can transcend space and time with your thinking mind.

You are precious and you have worth. If you don't feel like you have anything to live for then you should live for others, there is no greater purpose.

Don't be afraid to dig deeper and surprise yourself with your own fortitude. Or you can lean on your old man and I'll lend you what's left of mine.

Love always,

Dad

P.S. I'm not a believer in the whole "there are people less fortunate, you should feel bad" philosophy, all that ever did was make me feel guilty. It is your duty and honor to help those who aren't as well off as you but their trials don't diminish yours. Revel in your humanity and do what you can to breathe life into your sphere of influence.
Picture I took tonight thinking about this

No comments:

Post a Comment